[xml] Apple/Darwin Multiple Architecture OS-X

I am using a very old libxml2: 2.5.11 mostly because it has worked well for me for a long time. I have it working on Windows, Linux, AIX. I am having a very hard time with the Apple.

My application -- which links to libxml2.a on the other platforms -- is compiled for both Apple architectures (i386 and ppc) and loaded in to "fat" libraries (meaning both architectures are loaded into the single library).

libxml2 installed and configured just fine on the apple and make a .dylib and a .a that by all appearances are OK.

Apparently linking fat files with thin files does not work at all. And the libxml2 files are indeed thin files with the ppc architecture (this is a ppc machine).

So I did the obvious ... I modified the Makefile with "-arch i386 -arch ppc" in LDFLAGS.

And I get the following error when trying to link:

gcc: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed with multiple -arch flags

This would seem simple enough ... remove those flags. Yet they are not in my compil/link! See the actual gcc line it is using:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I./include -I./include -D_REENTRANT -g -O2 -Wall -arch i386 -arch ppc -c SAX.c -MT SAX.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/SAX.TPlo -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/SAX.lo

I am hoping there is a configure option I can use ... but I am not finding it. Or some other way to build libxml2.a or equivalent (I prefer static library with dead-strip and both architectures).

Does anyone know how I can do this :-) ?

Thanks!

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122 Denver Office (I am never there, you can leave a message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off when I sleep :-) Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new pictures! Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and lots of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html