Re: [xml] character encodings

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 13:36 -0700, Fred Smith wrote:

If My program is running on linux, this is fine as iconv on linux
knows about encoding “windows-1252”. If my program is running on AIX
5.2L, it is NOT fine, as the iconv on AIX appears to not know about
that charset.

When you generate your XML reply, why not encode any characters whose
values are 127 or higher into numberic character references to their
Unicode code points -- e.g. ⸐ or whatever?

Then you don't need iconv.

Oops, too late, I'd already read the mail before I got to that.

If it's confidential you should NOT be posting it to a
public mailing list.  Get yourself a non-work email account if
you can't disable the stupid disclaimer.  Thanks!

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin
Pictures from old books: http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/pictures/oldbooks/