Re: [xml] libxml2 for ARM

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 09:30:30AM -0400, mbenyounes tycoint com wrote:
My system is running Red Hat Linux 9.

  Obsolete, not supported anymore.

I downloaded libxml2-2.6.10.tar.gz into the /opt directory. Then I proceeded
to gunzip it into

  The latest version is 2.6.15

the /opt/libxml2-2.6.10 directory. I opened an xterm where I typed the
following:

CC=arm-linux-gcc; ./configure; Make - as was suggested to me by Daniel
Veillard

  make, not Make ! If you did this you certainly had an error.

And you also need the make install step. Did you read the INSTALL file coming
in the distribution ? It states

   1.What is the process to compile libxml ?

     As most UNIX libraries libxml follows the "standard":

     gunzip -c xxx.tar.gz | tar xvf -

     cd libxml-xxxx

     ./configure --help

     to see the options, then the compilation/installation proper

     ./configure [possible options]

     make

     make install

CC=arm-linux-gcc. Instead, it still had CC=gcc. Does this mean that

  Why do you need CC=arm-linux-gcc ? If your system is ARM and running
Linux you should just compile on the target system ? If not it's just about
basic cross compilation with the gcc tool chain and this list is not the
proper place to teach you doing cross compilation.

  I don't want to feel rude but if your job is to do embedded system
development, you really ought to know how to cross compile software using
a gcc cross compilation chain. It usually is a matter of doing
   export CC=your compiler
   ./configure with proper options
   make
   make install

  libxml2 should not be different from any other Unix/Gnu software in this
respect and learning to read the build and compilation logs to analyse
potential problems should be one of your basic work knowledge asset. This
can't be reduced to bugging an unrelated mailing list repeatedly until
someone does the job for you.

Daniel, who used to teach embedded system development to engineer students