[xml] How Capture 'first' document parsing error

Title: Message
I'm a new user of  XML and XMLLIB and could use some help. How do you
capture the first document parsing error?
I found that if use the function xmlReadFile() I can prevent the errors
from going to the screen.  I see that I can get the last error through
xmlLastError.  How do I capture the first error?  I figure that I probaly need to create
my own error handler (xmlGenericErrorFunc???) after reading through the archives.
However I haven't found any code snippets (at least working ones) that can
show me how to do this.
Any help would be appreciated,