Re: [xml] libxml2 XPath performances

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 11:05:01PM +0000, Jose Commins wrote:

      It is very illuminating to read the diverse comments on this thread
about XPath, as I have to keep in mind what potentially could be a vast
number of XML parsing which my program will perform in a production
environment, hence I have to keep performance in mind (Expat is out of
the equation for me, since libXML has the speed plus an excellent
feature set :o) .
      What I imagined libXMl might have done on the initial
      validation/node creation list when reading an XML file is to perform a hash
tree of some sort, but it seems that is not the case.
      With the Xpath logic aside, I reckon an LZW compression-like hashing
system could work quite well.  Any comments on implementing something
of this sort?

  Well, if you modify the tree, what happens to your hash ? How costly
is it to update it. libxml2 is primarily an editing toolkit, a lot of the
implementation choices have been driven by the ability to load/modify/save
easilly.

Daniel