Re: [xml] [patch] Changes in libxml.m4

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 07:43:19AM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
Hi,

Attached to this mail are the current changes I did to the libxml.m4
file on the latest debian release. It has been done after a bug reported
[1] about the AM_PATH_XML2 macro not working with the c++ language.

Note that I also removed the AM_PATH_XML macro, which belongs to libxml
(and added it in latest release of libxml), and additionally renamed the
file to libxml2.m4.

I think it would be a good idea to apply these changes to libxml2.

  the patch failed :-)
  patch: **** malformed patch at line 208: @@ -242,9 +49,9 @@
no idea why, usually when sent as attachment there is no problem.

On the real stuff, yes removing AM_PATH_XML make some sense, it may
break those still compiling against libxml1, but I think it's a nice
incentive for upgrade. What I don't understand is why you're setting
only CPPFLAGS and not CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS, one should still be able to
compile with a C compiler, and I don't expect CPPFLAGS to be used for
the pure C compiler so I'm a bit puzzled by this. Looking at the set
of m4 files in /usr/share/aclocal/, only very few set CPPFLAGS, notably
gettext and iconv.
  On the other hand it seems that Makefiles generated by auto* do
use CPPFLAGS for C compilation. The tradeoff is that while this change
will fix those C++ only compile problem, it may break those who do
not use auto* to generate their Makefiles. But since the recommended
way is to use xml2-config to extract the compiletime and linktime options
I made the changes and commited, we will see how many people complain
about this. It seems your patch didn't changed all CFLAGS occurences,
is there a reason, all the .m4 I got either use CFLAGS or CPPFLAGS but
never both, if you think this wasn't a mistake, please send another patch
maybe it will go though intact this time :-)

Daniel