Re: [xml] [patch] Changes in libxml.m4

Daniel Veillard wrote:
  the patch failed :-)
  patch: **** malformed patch at line 208: @@ -242,9 +49,9 @@
no idea why, usually when sent as attachment there is no problem.

no idea either...

On the real stuff, yes removing AM_PATH_XML make some sense, it may
break those still compiling against libxml1, but I think it's a nice
incentive for upgrade. What I don't understand is why you're setting
only CPPFLAGS and not CFLAGS and CPPFLAGS, one should still be able to
compile with a C compiler, and I don't expect CPPFLAGS to be used for
the pure C compiler so I'm a bit puzzled by this. Looking at the set
of m4 files in /usr/share/aclocal/, only very few set CPPFLAGS, notably
gettext and iconv.

You might be mistaken... CPPFLAGS is for the C PreProcessor, not the C++ compiler... for the latter, it is CXXFLAGS.
So, CPPFLAGS is used for both C and C++ compilations.

  On the other hand it seems that Makefiles generated by auto* do
use CPPFLAGS for C compilation. The tradeoff is that while this change
will fix those C++ only compile problem, it may break those who do
not use auto* to generate their Makefiles. But since the recommended
way is to use xml2-config to extract the compiletime and linktime options
I made the changes and commited, we will see how many people complain
about this. It seems your patch didn't changed all CFLAGS occurences,
is there a reason, all the .m4 I got either use CFLAGS or CPPFLAGS but
never both, if you think this wasn't a mistake, please send another patch
maybe it will go though intact this time :-)

I'll check that when I'll get a chance. When is the release planned for ? (I hope to be able to check before it ;) )

Thanks for the commit, though :)

Cheers,

Mike