Re: [xml] xmlsoft bindings with C interpreter Ch

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 13:22, Daniel Veillard wrote:
 Hi Wayne,

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 07:57:26PM -0400, Wayne Cheng wrote:
Ch libxml2 package is released.
The Ch libxml2 package is a C/C++ interpreter Ch binding to the
libxml2 library. The Ch libxml2 package is an open source package and
can be found at http://chlibxml2.sourceforge.net/.
The source code for building libxml2 interface with Ch is
included in the package.

I wonder if you can add a link from your website
about Ch libxml2 package. The author and maintainer for
Ch libxml2 pacakge is Zhaoqing Wang.

With Ch libxml2 pacakge, all libxml2 functions can run
across platform in Ch without compilation.

Ch is a free C/C++ interpreter for cross-platform scripting,
shell programming, 2D/3D plotting, numerical computing, and
embedded scripting. It runs in Windows, Linux, Solaris, MacOSX,
Freebsd and HP-UX.

  I went to http://www.softintegration.com/ but wasn't able to find
out the Licence under which the Ch environment is released. It's
kind of annoying, I would not be too fond to promote a closed source
solution. On the other hand the work done by chlibxml2 authors
seems nice, but the Licence for Ch is unclear to me and not explained
in any FAQ I could find on their site. A free binary environment would
unfortunately be very similar to the Java trap IMHO...

Daniel,

Hope the answer from Simon below might be helpful.  C/C++ is
is open stardard, and the language itself is not defined by any company.
As a C/C++ interpreter, it is not a new language.  libxml2 is written
in C and chlibxml2 also provides the open source interface. It allows
C/C++ users to run libxml2 without bothering to compile. I saw
java interfaace to libxml2 is also listed in your website, think
chlibxml2 might a good fit. Thanks

Wayne

The license for the "free" version of the CH interpreter is available on
the site if you follow the download links. It is free-as-in-beer only:
http://www.softintegration.com/download/register/license/license4chstd.html
though source code appears to be available in the download.

The license for the libxml2 wrapper (developed on sourceforge) is
somewhat unusual. It is a "pristine source" license, allowing
distributions of modifications only as patches to the "official" code,
plus requirements to credit the original authors.

All perfectly allowed, as far as I can see, given libxml2 is distributed
under the MIT (bsd-like) license.

Regards,

Simon