Re: [xml] xmlIO extensions

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:22:31PM +0100, Christian Engwer wrote:
Hello Mark,

Take a look at the attached code.  I have been using a zlib based xmlIO
input/output for years.  My schema is slightly different from yours (the
path to the zip file is constant) so the uri scheme is:

zip://filename.zip/path/to/source/file.xml

However you should be able to get something out of this.  This is just a
code snippet and there are references to my own stuff but this may help.

Thanks, but as far as I can see this won't help me in my case :-( I
allready have a working xmlzipio handler for local files (see
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2003-October/msg00383.html and
http://hal.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/~christi/xmlzipio/) but
promised to continue work after I have finished an other project.

Currently I want to improve the integration of xmlzipio with libxml2
in a way, that allows me to use any uri scheme to retrieve the zipfile.

  Well that's the problem with your other question, what is the usefulness
of adding seek() support when clearly this won't work for FTP and HTTP
(or not work better than a read to /dev/null)...
  I'm afraid too that this would force breaking some of the older APIs
in libxml2 (or force a duplication).
  I'm not 100% convinced we really need something like seek() at
the libxml2 level.

Daniel