[xml] To build structures or not to build structures

I am a fairly new to C and very new to libXML. I have a simple question regarding how to use the DOM interface.

In the tutorial on xmlsoft.org when using DOM, the example shows how to create your own structure to store data. Later it seems to reference that it is easier to allow the DOM structures to hold the data and you simply read/update/delete what you need.

Are there benefits/drawbacks to either approach? I'm likely missing something but can't seem to figure out why I would create my own structures as the examples do.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer.

mk