Re: [xml] xmlIO extensions

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:52:04AM +0100, Christian Engwer wrote:
Hi,

  Looked briefly at it, interesting but I think you made an error in the
naming scheme. Basically your scheme doesn't seems to be an URI, which mean
you loose the automatic naming support.

that is right, Inever experienced this problem, because I never used
external entities inside the zip archive :-(

  Something like zip:///path/to/zip/test.zip/top.xml is similar to the
file:// scheme, would allow URI-Reference and fragment identifiers.
But it would have the same limitations as file:// , namely it's difficult
to express addressing relative to the curent directory.

The big disadvatage would be, that all archives would have to be named
*.zip. I read through rfc2396 and have an other suggestion:
I'd like to keep the syntax <zip-uri><zipfilemarker><internal-uri>.
That makes it easier to parse and offers the flexibility to name the
archive in any way.
I thought <escapechar>zip would be good <zipfilemarker>. While reading
through rfc2396 I found 3 chars which are allowed, but very uncommon
for filenames: '!' '@' and ':'.
So I'd suggest some uri like
   path/to/zip/test zip zip/top.xml
This would impose a small limitation on the user... he could not use
directories names ending on @zip while using xmlzipio, but I tink this
is OK.

I test all three chars, all three work fine, although I think @zip
would be best readable.

What would you think...

  Why not it seems it would work fine too.
But even better, check how the OpenOffice guys did it and
reuse it if possible !

Daniel