[xml] libxml port to QCDOC.

Hi,
        I have compiled up libxml2 (version 2.5.1 for now) on a
prototype node of a QCDOC supercomputer. I am really impressed
that fundamentally the whole thing just worked (even though
it went through a cross compile) Well done you all.
(Incidentally for more info on the QCDOC supercomputer, visit:
 http://www.phys.columbia.edu/~cqft or just type QCDOC into Google)

However, our toolchain and operating system is restricted on the QCDOC,
in particular a couple of UNIX/POSIX functions are missing from
our OS or are not available to users (such as getcwd and stat).

Alas this is the sorrow of having a homebrew OS. In any case, I found
that in the config.h file, I can #undef HAVE_STAT, and for getcwd
I just return "/" all the time. However, it would be nice if I could
somehow tell ./configure to #undef HAVE_STAT. As it is it will probe
for stat and find the newlib stub (which is not really functional in
our case).

For the now we could certainly proceed in such a way, that I configure
as normal, and some post processing script undefines HAVE_STAT in the
config.h file. The ultimate cleanest way of doing things would be
to hide our stat function stub so that the configure script won't find it,
however this may be invasive to newlib which is also undersirable.
Would it perhaps be reasonable possible to patch the configure script
by adding a --disable-statfunc switch?  I

        Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.
        Balint

Dr Balint Joo                         Post Doctoral Research Fellow
School of Physics
University of Edinburgh
Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JZ
Scotland UK
Tel: 0131 650 6469 (from UK) +44-131-650-6469 (from outwith UK)
Fax: 0131 650 5902 (from UK) +44-131-650-5902 (from outwith UK)
email: bj ph ed ac uk           bj phys columbia edu
WWW  : http://www.ph.ed.ac.uk/~bj