Re: ** OFFLIST ** Re: [xml] built libxml and libxslt, possible bugs

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 07:16:56PM +0100, Igor Zlatkovic wrote:
Now I'm copying this to the list.

  I understand the frustration, still making public a private issue
is always something which need to be well thought. I did it too in
the past, it's the ultimate protection but we should never have to end
up doing this.

I should take a glance at your code? Why should I waste my time with your
code if you won't do as much as run it through a debugger?

  I think the rule is 100% clear on http://xmlsoft.org/bugs.html
the libxml2/libxslt developpers cannot debug/check users code. There
is too many users out there and not enough people who actually feel free
to help. Igor, the best if you get such requests is to point the
people to that page and tell them to use the mailing-list and never
work off list. I personally accept off-list communication only:
   - from Red Hat enterprise customers
   - from people contributing to the libxml2/libxslt/xmlsec projects
   - from people using the code for GNOME
   - occasionally from people I know personally
This line of conduct allows to preserve my sanity, and make sure
most of the important topic are always debated in public, archived and
searchable.
  Users must understand that time spent on private code or non-archived
communication, is lost from a community perspective, and to preserve
the project resources, we must stay within those boundaries. Asking us
privately is actually taking time off the project, and a disservice
to the community.

Dan Whipple wrote:
Look smartass I wasn't asking for you to debug, just to glance and see
anything outstanding.  Typical European asshole!

  Oh, my ... well, you can't claim as a free resources other people
time, don't insult them, and well if you don't like the way europeans
work, please drop my code too, I'm one of those French bastards, you know...

  Now could this calm down ? If users start demotivating the people
who actually run the project, then the whole community is at risk. If
Igor get pissed, there won't be Windows releases, period !

Daniel