Re: [xml] libxml2 and libxslt wishlist

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 06:30:02AM +0000, mgrushinskiy comcast net wrote:
I don't know if there is a separately maintained wishlist for these libraries.
But here are few features which would be nice to have there ;)

1. regexp exslt functions for libxslt

  requires to extend the existing regexp implementation of libxml2,
since relying on external support won't be portable I'm afraid.

2. XUpdate processor (xmldb.org)

  Hum, that can mean a lot of different things. Dumping the result
of a parse in a DB should be simple. Being able to load full documents
from a DB would need to introduce intermediate APIs, to hook the DB
backend, should not be not too hard. Adding progressive loading/unloading
of the tree to/from the DB for traversal or XPath on the other hand
is a serious work, actually that could be added to 2.6.x base branch
but this is major/serious/hard work.

3. finished schemas

  Let's be frank, there is an acronym for this "PITA" ...

4. options to store original XML formatting in parsed tree representation
    (ex. if attributes are on separate lines, xmllint would output them
    same way, at least with some option)

  I'm not sure keeping track of ignorable informations is really useful for
a lot of people. If you need to process at this level, why not use text
processing tools (perl comes to mind).

Daniel