Re: [xml] Patch: installing Python into actual site-packages

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 16:22, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 03:40:06PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 15:25, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:59:05PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
These patches update libxml2/libxslt's python/Makefiles to use the
$(PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGES) value, as discovered by configure, rather than
synthesizing one;  the logic guesses wrong in the case where Python is
not installed under $(libdir).  The patch is against libxml2 2.5.7 and
libxslt 1.0.29.

  Hum, I feel a bit cautious about those patches, basically I'm
afraid that they break on the x86_64 platform, where libdir is
/usr/lib64 IIRC, not /usr/lib , and I cannot break the python
bindings of libxml2, really ... I need to do some tests first.

  I made the test, it passes so I think the patch can be applied.

If I invoke configure using '--with-python', then the Python libraries
ought to be installed into *that* Python's site-packages, no?  At the

  yes, that makes sense. But when you try to get auto*, compilers and
various packaging methodologies on dozens of platforms and processors
to work correctly, common sense has been forgotten way before starting
to run any configuration code.

I can certainly appreciate that problem.  Zope gets to cheat on that by
leveraging Python for most of the painful bits.

first, rather than last.  In fact, if you can't ask Python where its
site-packages are, you could probably just bail on doing the Python
wrappers altogether, as your chances of doing the Right Thing (TM) are
just about nil.

  Hum, should I take your comment as an advice to stop working on
doing code and get a degree on applied psychology instead ?

Heh, if that serves your bliss, sure. :)  I really just meant to
indicate that modern Pythons can always do a better job of telling where
their 'site-packages' is than heuristics / guessing.  I know you still
support some pre-distutils versions;  for those, happy-chance is the
best you can do.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver zope com