Re: [xml] Patch: installing Python into actual site-packages

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 15:25, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:59:05PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:
These patches update libxml2/libxslt's python/Makefiles to use the
$(PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGES) value, as discovered by configure, rather than
synthesizing one;  the logic guesses wrong in the case where Python is
not installed under $(libdir).  The patch is against libxml2 2.5.7 and
libxslt 1.0.29.

  Hum, I feel a bit cautious about those patches, basically I'm
afraid that they break on the x86_64 platform, where libdir is
/usr/lib64 IIRC, not /usr/lib , and I cannot break the python
bindings of libxml2, really ... I need to do some tests first.

If I invoke configure using '--with-python', then the Python libraries
ought to be installed into *that* Python's site-packages, no?  At the
moment, they end up in an entirely wrong place, unless that Python is
coincidentally already installed into '$(libdir)'.

I held off on patching the part of 'configure' which does the discovery
of PYTHON_SITE_PACKAGES:  it currently falls back to asking the Python's
distutils where the library path is, which should be the place to check
first, rather than last.  In fact, if you can't ask Python where its
site-packages are, you could probably just bail on doing the Python
wrappers altogether, as your chances of doing the Right Thing (TM) are
just about nil.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver zope com