Jeroen Cranendonk writes:
From: "Stefan Seefeld" <seefeld sympatico ca>
To: "Jeroen Cranendonk" <j cranendonk emaxx nl>
Jeroen Cranendonk wrote:
I'm still working on the xmlwriter I've mentioned in earlier mails :)
though I notice I lack the resources to do a proper job on it ;)

In the hopes of getting other people interested to contribute to it I'd
like
to stick it on sourceforge.

Is this really worth the efford ? Isn't the aim to produce one, may be two
files, and once the API is reasonably complete, stable, and correct,
convince
Daniel to integrate it into libxml2 ?

Couldn't you just keep the file(s) in a publicly visible place, as you
have
done before, and then apply patches whenever they come in. I can't imagine
that there will be that many patches before the API is complete, but may
be
I'm underestimating the job.

Regards,
Stefan

2 files, and the effort isn't that big, I've seen similary small projects on
sourceforge, like the c++ wrapper to libxml :)
I'm not saying you're not right tho, that's why I mentioned it on the
mailinglist first ;)

In itself the thing isn't that small either tho really, the basics are
fairly simple, but there's a lot of things that can be messed up,
and there's a lot of bits that should be added on the longer run, I'm
thinking of proper namespace and encoding stuff for example, or entity
related things. Those can add a decent bit of complexity :)

One problem is that I'm rather busy nowadays, and I can already see myself
not getting much further with it then I am now,
I started on it basicly cause I'd like to have it for another project which
takes the beef of my free time too :) I could've kept
it really simple and only within that project, but basicly I jsut think it's
a really helpfull addition that'd actually benefit libxml
if it'd be properly implemented , so I'm trying to put it there :)

Now the advantage of sourceforge is to attract some attention, but also to
give a place people could put questions or hints and
so for the component, and an easier and not dependent on my server place to
get hte recent files,
and a CVS archive ofcourse, CVS is life for opensource projects :) There is
nothing quite as helpfull as being able to
see back into the history of a component and find out what was changed and
why, when you're working on extending it :)

Still, you might be right too, I'd still like to see it  under cvs somewhere
and in a public place rather then my own server tho :)
Atleast if I get run over by something someone else could finish it easier
too then ;)

Anyways :)

thats how I think about it tonight ;)

you might be right, I'd like to hear other people too :)

    thanks and greetings,
        Jeroen Cranendonk