Re: [xml] mobile links for XInclude?

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 07:08:59PM +0100, Ben Decker wrote:
would like to move the whole filetree to a different location. Would something like this ever be
possible:
<xi:include href="$XMLDATA/program/python.xml#xpointer(//python/libs)" parse="xml"

 No. The href attribute content is an URI Reference as defined in RFC 2396.
So far this has been sufficient to build the Web, that should be sufficient
for XInclude. Use relative URI reference or HTTP redirects.
 If you really want to make something not portable and are ready to
design something that broken, then you can define your own entity handler
at the libxml2 level

Why so negetive? I have a problem and need a solution. What I have
learned so far doesn't offer one. I didn't see
reason for such a reaction like this... Was this really warranted?

 You make the data completely dependant on an environment variable.
Which mean it will break for anybody not having this "magic" setup,
and XInclude being a W3C specification impacting generic XML processing
this is totally unacceptable. So either you ask me to develop a
non-standard extension which feels broken to me or you ask to extend
the spec in a similary unacceptable way. In both case I'm strongly
disagreeing with your suggestion. I think this is very broken as a
framework and I react accordingly, that's all.

Daniel