Re: [xml] standard dtd?!

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Daniel Veillard wrote:

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:23:08PM +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
I've read the guidelines and the catalog and fixed my software (which was using
file-system local dtds).

  okay :-)

Now one question is left for me. You've written that
libxml2 is searching by default under '/etc/xml/catalog' for thye presence of
the catalog. My software build on cygwin as well. Is there any recommendation
for a default place of the catalog. (I've grepped the source and found the
reference in catalog.c and xmllint.c).

  Hum, the default loacation for the catalog on Windows is a bit unclear to
me, I'm in a position to make a serious recommendation (and back it up in code)
for Unix/Linux, but for Windows, I don't know. From what I can remember
from a decenny ago it seems to me that "C:\XML\CATALOG" might be a good
default, but I refuses to make such a decision.
Currently the place is
#ifndef XML_XML_DEFAULT_CATALOG
#define XML_XML_DEFAULT_CATALOG "file:///etc/xml/catalog"
#endif
independantly of the platform.

I've seen combinations of C:\etc\xml\catalog , C:\xml\catalog and, wait for
it... C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\xml\catalog :-) Very bodged.

Wouldn't the above (Daniel's bit not mine) turn into \etc\xml\catalog (which is
either interpretted as current-drive:\etc\xml\catalog or system-drive:\etc\xml\catalog)
? So that should be alright, if not the user can control the location via (one
of) the environment variable(s).

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney, EMCB  |  http://www.nongnu.org/wwwauth/