Re: [xml] standard dtd?!

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 05:40:28PM +0200, Tobias Reif wrote:
On Windows in a .bat file I have
   set SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/xml/catalog
since this works.

  Hum, that's bad, SGML catalogs should be in /etc/sgml/catalog,
or in the default environment variable.

If I remove that line, I get

   Variable $SGML_CATALOG_FILES not set
.
I'd be happy if xmllint would look for /etc/xml/catalog so that I don't
have to specify this variable.

  No I disagree, XML and SGML catalogs are a fundamentally different
thing to me, and usually are for different toolchains. Actually one
of the best way to break an XML toolchain is to point it by default to
an SGML set of resources, I really don't want to mix them.

But when the catalog would be somewhere else I'd have to provide the
path to it.
If I change the line to any of
   set XML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/xml/catalog
   set XML_CATALOG_FILES=file:///etc/xml/catalog
   set XML_CATALOG_FILES="file:///etc/xml/catalog"
I also get
   Variable $SGML_CATALOG_FILES not set
.
Shouldn't XML_CATALOG_FILES eg
   set XML_CATALOG_FILES=/etc/xml/catalog
work?

  No, SGML and XML catalogs are distinct set of resources,
so unless I misunderstood your question (very possible) I don't
think I can answer positively about it, mixing them was actually
one of the main large scale problem I ever had when implementing
catalogs and deploying them, so I'm very cautious now to avoid
any mixup of both set of resources.

Daniel