Re: [xml] Character Sets supported

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:40:59AM +0200, Peter Jacobi wrote:
Hi Daniel,

To make sure I didn't overlooked something important:

1. Independant of whether iconv is used or other user supplied
character set handling is deployed, libxml2 will only ever support
those character encodings explicitely listed in encoding.h

  Hum, no. That list is just a set for which I have defined integer
values, it's relatively old, and predate the iconv() support.

    XML_CHAR_ENCODING_ERROR=   -1, /* No char encoding detected */
[...]
    XML_CHAR_ENCODING_ASCII=    22 /* pure ASCII */

2. If assumption 1 is right, where do you see the preferred
extension mechanism:
a) only by adding to the  enum and the case statements
b) abonding the enum and assign encoding codes when
registering a character encoding
c) mix a) and b) (leave existing enum codes alone but
handle dynamically registered encodings in the default
clauses)

  The enum should evolve, or get deprecated. The problem is that
there is a set of entry point using the enum to indicate a given encoding
and it's far too restrictive. IMHO all of those should be spotted,
flagged as deprecated and alternative function based on a string should
be used. That part would need a bit of refactoring (while still preserving
the API/ABI :-\ ).

Daniel