Re: [xml] SAX parsing

matthias pieroth t-online de writes:
cbozeman hiwaay net schrieb:
You seem to be confused. The result (res) of
xsltApplyStylesheet is an in
memory document, i.e it is already parsed. As Daniel
stated previously, all
you need to do is walk the tree to get the information
you want.

Yes, I know, but isn't this less efficient than using SAX.

        This doesn't make much sense - SAX is used for parsing an XML
file; what you do with the information in the file is up to you. One
of the options is building a tree structure representation of the
document.

        An XML tree structure is handy for working with documents. One
of the operations you might perform on such a structure would be to
serialize (print) it. Another would be to apply an XSLT transform,
which would give you a new XML tree (as long as you're using the 'xml'
output method).

        Note that the methods in libxml2/libxslt for applying
stylesheets and serializing documents assume a particular tree
structure. Building this tree structure yourself is a lot of work.
Fortunately, it is not necessary, as you can just use xmlParseFile
instead.

And I want to know how I can apply a stylesheet on an xmltree (not a
file). Can you tell me how I can do this?

        Take a look at the source code for xsltproc (xsltproc.c); this
gives you *exactly* the sequence of operations you need.

In the tutorial is only this mentioned:

cur = xsltParseStylesheetFile((const xmlChar *)argv[i]);

        This is used for setting up the XSLT stylesheet structure.
There are other ways of doing this, including using xmlParseFile and
xslParseStylesheetDoc. Once you have a stylesheet structure, you can
apply the stylesheet to an XML document - from a file, or from an XML
tree that has been built from a call to xmlParseFile.

--
Raymond Wiker                        Mail:  Raymond Wiker fast no
Senior Software Engineer             Web:   http://www.fast.no/

Try FAST Search: http://alltheweb.com/