[xml] Please help... How to use libxml in a C++ project(KDevelop)

Hello!
It's probably an easy Question but I'm failing to find an answer since hours...

I just started an Open Source Project in C++ under Linux using KDevelop. I'm not (yet) very common with all this make, automake, autoconf stuff and the millions of settings and options this tools and the gcc has. I've got my Kdevelop project in one folder and want to keep the libxml source files in another folder. I added the compiler option -I<pathtolibxmlsources> but I get undefined reference error while linking for each libxml function I try to call...

Would be happy if anyone could help me on...

Thanks
Sven Weiberg