Re: [xml] Building libxml2 as a DLL under MinGW MSYS

Igor Zlatkovic <igor stud fh-frankfurt de> writes:

One thing: The name 'LIBXML_DLL_EXPORT' is somewhat misleading. An
user who has never seen Windows rightfully asks herself what that
should be. Should this thing ever be used more than now, I would
urge to rename it to something more understandable, such as
LIBXML_PUBLIC, for example.

Whatever is good for you.

Whatever its name, putting it in front of every function's
declaration is unlikely to happen. Only Windows can profit from this
and all other platforms would have to endure a header
uglification. We had discussed about this a while ago. There is a
hard resistance at least as long as there is an alternative.

See below.

The deal is that mingw needs the global *data* to be wrapped with the
__declspec(dllexport | dllimport) and to the best of my understanding
the functions are not nearly as big of a deal and do not need them.

Mingw needs (dllexport)? I thought it is the same as MSVC in that
manner. A DLL can export a variable without (dllexport), but the
client code such as xmllint cannot import it without
(dllimport). Functions can be exported an imported without
these. C++ classes can not be exported without (dllexport) but can
be imported without (dllimport). What a mess.

You are absolutely correct. My apologies.

I verified this just a little while ago with a test package:

<http://www.soggytrousers.net/repository/hello-0.3.tar.gz>

Was that a cry or a cheer? :-) Seriously, I appreciate it, but there
is no need to thank me for that. No sane soul would ever drive the
support for her own platform with ignorance towards any other
platform, regardless now small the number of its users. Even if I
would do that, I would be stopped by the others one way or
another. Daniel has equally considered your platform, although he
has absolutely no use for Windows or mingw. That is not a simple
courtesy, it is our duty, it is what we want, and it is the only way
we can go no matter what we want. That is the democracy of the Open
Source and precisely the politics responsible for today's libxml,
one of the world's very best XML processors... ah cut that crap, is
the beer cold allready?  It's saturday evening :-)

Daniel honored me by including my "Makefile.mingw" with the 2.4.24
distribution and after I downloaded it I discovered it did not work as
it had with 2.4.23, so I set out to adjust ./configure (etc) so that
it could be built automatically so that there would not be as much
problem in the future for mingw users.

I did not expect it to become a big deal! :-)

Elizabeth