Re: [xml] Building libxml2 as a DLL under MinGW MSYS

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 05:29:11PM +0000, jhheider attbi com wrote:
Or if have to sit in front of a Win2000 box 8 hours a day, but
do your best to use GNU tools to relieve the misery. It'd be
nice to be able to download the latest libxml source and
'./configure; make' just like anyone running a Real
Operating System (*sigh*).

  Hard to argue against that !
The big big problem is just to make sure all thos various Windowish
setups and build mechanism:
  1/ don't break other architectures
  2/ work reliably
  3/ are properly documented so that the users don't get confused on
     the way to set them up on their system

  1/ is really a top priority
  2/ is needed to avoid turning this list into a battle of different
     person on similar environment trying to get "their way" to work
  3/ is needed to avoid turning this list into a support channel for
     people losts on setting up the library. One of the very appreciable
     point from Igor's involvement is that the majority of the Windows
     users simply fetch his binaries and Makefiles and have the thing
     working

  The problem is: nobody is able to regression tests all the various
configurations for breakages in the changes. Not me, not Igor, nobody
actually can check for all Windows different versions and build mechanisms.

  The solution: apply the Linux/Opensource way, people should try the
CVS version on a regular basis, Igor should not hesitate to break the
Windows build to test them. Release early, release often, and make
sure the user's feedback loop is tight. I'm afraid if we can't get
this rolling then a more static Windows build environment will be
the consequence.

   Makes sense ?

Daniel