[xml] error: don't know how to make Install-Data-Local

Thanks to all your earlier help (re: h_errno undeclared), I've gotten the
libxml to make.  But now it won't 'make install'.
First, please remember that I'm new to this unix/linux world, so use small,
less-technical words.
Second, what (in general) is 'make install' supposed to be doing?
Third, How can I get around this error when doing a 'make install'?

creating gjobread
Making install in python
Making install in .
        /bin/ksh ../mkinstalldirs
don't know how to make install-data-local
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)

Using : SCO OpenServer 5.0.06  ( _SCO_DS  I think)

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Fricault (F-78)         Gilbarco Inc.
Senior Software Engineer     7300 W. Friendly Avenue
Retail Solutions             Greensboro, NC 27420-2087
Mark Fricault gilbarco com    Phone : (336) 547-5863
www.gilbarco.com      Fax : (336) 547-5079