[xml] python makefile question

Daniel,
        Can you elaborate on why the python/Makefile.am builds a library
(at least I presume that's what the .so is) under the _PROGRAMS primary?

It's
a) non-portable (why not keep using libtool like you do elsewhere)
b) breaks on platforms with binary extensions -  like cygwin where
_PROGRAMS targets get $(EXEEXT) added to them.

I'm happy to look at what needs doing to get the python extensions
available for cygwin python users... once this is more clear to me.

Rob