Re: [xml] Canonical XML Implementation

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 01:25:12AM -0800, Aleksey Sanin wrote:
Daniel,

Please find attached the implementation of C14N and Exc-C14N standards

  I fetched the tarball, I assume it's the same as would have been in the
attachment ;-) . Did you add a configure option to include/exclude it in/from
libxml2 ?

("Canonical XML version 1.0" http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-c14n  and
"Exclusive XML Canonicalization version 1.0"
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-exc-c14n).
It'll be great if you'll be able to include this into libxml2 library as
we discussed.

  The code looks good, I will need to ask the Gnome2 release team for the
integration at that point but I doubt it will be a problem.

I also created a separate xmlc14n library package for anyone who wants  to
look at this ASAP:
        http://www.aleksey.com/xmlc14n/xmlc14n.20020303_011819.tar.gz
this package also includes test program and test cases from
"Interoperability
Reports" for both standards.

  A few comments about the package:
     - just to be sure are you okay releasing your code under the MIT Licence
       the files say "See Copyright for the status of this software." like the
       libxml code but I need to be 100% sure of the intent :-)
     - are the functions xmlC14NProcessNode, xmlC14NProcessNodeList
       and xmlC11NNormalizeString really part of the API ? What would use
       it, XML-DSig for example ? I would be tempted to not expose the
       content of xmlC14NCtxPtr and keep it defined in c14n.c (but keep
       the pointer definition public), any reason this would not work ?
     - The regression tests from the tarfile should really be integrated
       as part of libxml2 regression tests, the simplest seems to add
       a --c14n option to xmllint.
Since "Exclusive XML Canonicalization" is in CR, it would be very useful
to the Working Group if you could send them implementation feedback (authors
and w3c-ietf-xmldsig w3 org  This will definitely help them making progress
toward reaching Recommendation status.

   Thanks a lot !

Daniel