Re: [xml] Canonical XML Implementation

Daniel,

Please find my answers interlaced with your questions.

Aleksey.

I fetched the tarball, I assume it's the same as would have been in the
attachment ;-) . Did you add a configure option to include/exclude it in/from
libxml2 ?

Both tarballs have only files for C14N. The attachment I sent has only *.h and *.c files.
The tarball on the Web site has also Makefiles, test program and test suite.
I have not enought expirience with autoconfig scripts so it'll be great if you can take care of adding include/exclude option in libxml2. I simply not sure that I can do it right.

The code looks good, I will need to ask the Gnome2 release team for the
integration at that point but I doubt it will be a problem.

Great! Please let me know if any changes will be required.

A few comments about the package:
    - just to be sure are you okay releasing your code under the MIT Licence
      the files say "See Copyright for the status of this software." like the
      libxml code but I need to be 100% sure of the intent :-)

Yes, sure. Sorry that I did not mention this in clear. :)

    - are the functions xmlC14NProcessNode, xmlC14NProcessNodeList
      and xmlC11NNormalizeString really part of the API ? What would use
      it, XML-DSig for example ? I would be tempted to not expose the
      content of xmlC14NCtxPtr and keep it defined in c14n.c (but keep
      the pointer definition public), any reason this would not work ?

You are right, there is no no need in these functions. Whole c14nInternals.h file could be placed at the beginning of the c14n.c w/o any problems. Do you want me to do this change?

    - The regression tests from the tarfile should really be integrated
as part of libxml2 regression tests, the simplest seems to add a --c14n option to xmllint.

It does not look simple since there are 4 different options (--c14n-with-comments, --c14n-without-comments, --exc-c14n-with-comments and --exc-c14n-without-comments) and all these options accept different sets of input parameters. However, I'll take a look.

Since "Exclusive XML Canonicalization" is in CR, it would be very useful
to the Working Group if you could send them implementation feedback (authors
and w3c-ietf-xmldsig w3 org  This will definitely help them making progress
toward reaching Recommendation status.

Yep, I already sent few questions to the Working Group. I am also going to send them information about C14N implementation in libxml2 (when it'll be included in the package) if there is no objections from your side. There is an interoperability reports pages and I think
that it's a good idea to list libxml2 on these pages