[xml] no records found

I am reading through a xml file with a for-each statement which is followed by a long if statement.  If none of my records satisfy the if statement, i want to print a line similar to :
"No records were found for your request"

I cannot figure out how to do this since I cannot change any variables in xsl.  This should be a simple thing, but i guess my mind is still set on the old ways.  Please guide me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Glenn