Re: [xml] Building/configure errors on alpha/OSF-1

On Thu, Nov 15, 2001 at 01:40:16PM +0100, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
Just a small build bug, but a sloppy one.

  Not sloppy,

checking for snprintf... no

[...]

../entities.c:518: warning: implicit declaration of function `snprintf'

I thought the point of having configure detect if snprintf worked or not;
was to either not use it, or report a configuration error.

  When the configure script doesn't found the snprintf familly of
string formatting functions which are a *basic* requirement to provide
secure processing of strings, then libxml uses the internal trio
replacement function providing those capabilities on those platform.
  The warning indicate that something may be missing, the trio library
do provide snprintf on alpha/OSF-1 this was tested by Bjorn Reese in the
past if my memory is correct.

  There might be a problem, it's definitely not a sloppy bug, and the
problem analysis is wrong. Now why does trio is not used is a mistery to me
I can't debug since I don't have access to that platform. One thing is sure
I don't want libxml to use unguarded string formatting routine. If it means
the library might not run on the platform, too bad, but
I don't even want to take the risk to see libxml being a source of security
problems due to use of sprintf and related heresy.

Looking through configure and Makefile. I concluded both config.h and
Makefile was a 100% correct. After looking at the sourcecode, I acted upon a
hunch and tried compiling in the source-directory like most people do. That
worked. So it's only when building in a sub-directory (usefull when you
support 4 different archs), that there is a problem. And it is most likely
only troublesome when you also have old libxml2 lying around in
/usr/local/include.

So it works :) It's just not a 100% GNU complient :( .
Likely coused by un-carefull use of include directives.

BTW, it turned out gcc needed an -mieee option, that wasn't detected by
configure either, but that was easily fixed since I always override CFLAGS
anyway.

regards
Allan