[xml-bindings]RE: [xml-bindings]idom2-pas-beta-1 released (dom2 implementation, based on libxml2 for object pascal)

Hello Daniel,

you wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 11:05:26AM +0200, ufechner wrote:
> > - the speed of libxmldom.pas is good, AND it is a crossplatform library
> >   AND open source (yes, it's a feature)
>
>   I'm a bit lost, do you mean it work for Windows and Linux environments
> from Borland ?

Yes, I do.

Of course it would be good, to create a freepascal based implementation,
too, because it runs on more platforms, but I think that I wait for
freepascal 1.2, before I do that, because I need widestrings and interfaces,
that don't work with the currently stable release 1.04.

> > Daniel, could please you add this link to the list of libxml-language
> > bindings?
>
>   Sure, added. Just wondering, is there a relationship with
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/libxml2-pas

Yes, there is. The libxml2-pas project published so far the
header-translations for libxml2 and libxslt, that I use (well, with minor
changes for D5 compatibility).
And we used the cvs of the libxml2 project for the development of
idom2-pas when we started.

> > A last question:
> >
> > Would the python community be interested in a python-wrapper for
> > this dom implementation?
>
>   Hum, a good DOM2 interface would be nice, but I'm wondering about
> how much glue code is actually needed. How large is your library ?
> I didn't checked gdome2 either recently.

The library has about 4570 lines of code without the interface units.
About one third of it is comment.

If you compare it with gdom2:

GDome2 implements more interfaces ("Events" and "MutationEvents" modules),
that we don't need in the moment.

And GDome2 has different memory mangagement: It implements reference
counting in the library itself.

That is not so good, if you want to create a delphi wrapper, because delphi
implements reference counting, too. So you have a curtain amount of
overhead, if you use gdome2 together with generic interfaces, written in
oject pascal or python. (When I tested it, it was about 25-33% more of
memory and less speed, if you use gdome2 together with delphi, compared
to the thin wrapper we created now).

If I would create a DOM for python, I would create a dll/ .so file first,
that exports neccessary functions (not objects), and create the object-
layer in python.

It would be a reasonable amount of work, but I would like to learn to
write object-pascal libraries for python. Both languages are similar,
there is only a little impedance loss, if you mix them, and there is
already the python for delphi project, www.multimania.com/marat/, that
has many helpfull tools to integrate both languages.

>   Another question: what's the status of error reporting ? when
> we initially
> created that list one of the points raised was troubles to bind new error
> message handlers, did people find a way ? Or is there still a need to
> augment libxml API ?

Error reporting isn't implemented yet, at least I didn't get it going yet.

I might try it again in couple of weeks, but I have to write my
maths examinations in a fourthnight first.

Regards:

Uwe