Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

On 28 Oct 2012 04:13, "Carsten Haitzler" <raster rasterman com> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 23:33:23 -0400 "Ryan C. Gordon" <icculus icculus org> said:
>

> > > hehe sure. 320x240 etc. are pretty much gone. do you expect the game to go
> > > to randr and query available modes? does this sound sensible actually? i
> > > don't think it does as game doesnt know what monitor it is destined for
> > > until its window is mapped. i suspect we need to have some level of
> > > negotiation here. maybe wm advertises available exclusive fullscreen
> > > resolutions in a property, and then game selects one of them.
> >
> > In my wildest dreams, only the "read-only" parts of XRandR would be available
> > to apps, but it doesn't sound like it's a big problem to supply a list of
> > available resolutions through the Window Manager...I guess it would remove
> > any dependency in apps on a specific X11 extension, and lets DEs specify just
> > what they want to allow.
>
> i think this would be best. it simplifies the game side (randr code totally
> gone) and hands control to the de. if the de has a policy of "only alow native
> resolutions" it will query randr, find the native screen resolutions and just
> list those. user prefs apply to all games now nicely. hell if de wanted to it
> could offer the user to explicitly select his desired fullscreen resolutions
> once for all games and this ends up as some subset of available resolutions.
> the user could even configure which screen fullscreen windows are to appear on
> "always" etc. (your primary screen may not be screen id # 0 which many games
> currently seems to just assume is my main monitor :)).

It's cool for the wm (or xrandr) to be used as a source of "suggested" resolutions, but let's make sure that apps aren't required to pick one of those and the wm has to do something more or less sensible no matter what. This hint is potentially useful for, say, vnc or virtual machine windows (especially something like virtualbox running win32 running a full-screen game!), but it's not clear that we can pass allowable resolutions down through that chain of programs.

-n