Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 00:31:33 -0400 "Ryan C. Gordon" <icculus icculus org> said:

> > this is good. my only concerns are more related to this not handling
> > multiple screens. what will you do when you want a game to span 2 or 3
> > screens with multiple viewports (eg side monitors with different view
> > angles to provide wider field of view) etc.? i'd vote for multiple windows
> > in this case but then some hint telling the wm which window is master,
> > slave and where they should be placed relative to eachtoher.
>
> This is worth solving, but I'm not sure it's worth solving with this
> particular spec.
>
> The current text just expects the window to stay on the screen it's currently
> associated with, but perhaps that's naive?

i think so. you game will start and set this property THEN map the window... at
this point it will get associated with a screen by the wm. it's already too
late at this point. :)

> In any case, coordinating multiple windows, or trying to span one across
> multiple monitors, seems like it's going to bring a lot of grief, and should
> probably get a lot of care and attention from a different spec concerned with
> only that feature.

well the wording of this spec had better reflect the possibility of other
fullscreen exclusive windows to exist at the same time even on other screens.
at least it allows us later then to add more properties in addition to this
hint that indicate master/slave relationships and locality of windows.