Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

On 10/26/2012 11:06 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:45:53 -0700 Konstantin Svist <fry kun gmail com> said:

* turning off other displays is usually NOT desired: if the game is not
using them, I would expect to be able to use a 2nd/3rd/etc. monitor to
display something else (reference information for the game, or maybe
email client/notification widget/etc.). If the user doesn't need to use
the extra monitors, she can turn them off manually.
due to how randr does things keeping screens on is not desirable. it also means
you can't turn off compositing. it's not sane/sensible to keep them on given
the x11 setup we have at this time (changes would mean changes to xserver
internals and implementations as opposed to just a wm<->app protocol).

I use XFCE desktop without compositing (not a fan of any sfx that slow my wm down). Hope you're not saying I can only use 1 monitor in this case? Agree on not having to support full 3D-accellerated desktop while a game is running, but here's a thought: since it doesn't need to be interactive, why not render it in 2D for the duration? If some dynamic widget updates, it can be re-drawn [with low priority], and then left as static image on screen.