Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:45:53 -0700 Konstantin Svist <fry kun gmail com> said:

> On 10/26/2012 10:12 AM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 04:26:20PM -0400, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> >> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE indicates that the Window Manager
> >> MUST change the resolution of the window's screen to one that most
> >> closely matches the window's current dimensions. If no available
> >> resolution matches exactly, the Window Manager MUST select the
> >> closest available resolution larger than the window. The Window
> >> Manager MUST center the window within the new resolution, remove any
> >> window decorations, retain its original geometry, and grant that
> >> window input focus. If the chosen resolution does not match the
> >> window geometry, the Window Manager MUST obscure the rest of the
> >> screen so that the window is the only thing visible. If there is no
> >> resolution that can completely contain the window's undecorated
> >> geometry, the Window Manager MUST refuse to allow this hint.
> > Should the window manager also constrain the pointer to the area inside
> > the window, or is that the client window's responsibility?
> >
> > Regarding centering, in the case of a multiple monitor layout, say two
> > 1920x1200 monitors providing 3840 x 1200 total screen size, if a game
> > can run at 1920x1200 (but nothing larger), then shouldn't it occupy
> > either the left or right monitor rather than be centered half on each?
> > (Presumably it should be whichever screen the game was launched from?)
> > Should this case be handled by turning off unneeded displays to reduce
> > the desktop to 1920x1200, or by leaving the displays on but obscuring
> > them?
>
> 2¢ from casual gamer:
>
> * filling a single monitor window is the expected behavior.
> * user should be able to choose which monitor the game runs on (on
> Windows, one monitor is designated as primary desktop, and a game is
> usually expected to fill that monitor; being able to fill a different
> monitor was not a hard requirement)

that's now up to the wm - i would expect the wm has a policy or way to
determine this. (example e17 already has a policy that windows go to the screen
AND virtual desktop where the app was launched. e17 literally tracks the launch
location and places window in the same desktop+screen).

> * turning off other displays is usually NOT desired: if the game is not
> using them, I would expect to be able to use a 2nd/3rd/etc. monitor to
> display something else (reference information for the game, or maybe
> email client/notification widget/etc.). If the user doesn't need to use
> the extra monitors, she can turn them off manually.

due to how randr does things keeping screens on is not desirable. it also means
you can't turn off compositing. it's not sane/sensible to keep them on given
the x11 setup we have at this time (changes would mean changes to xserver
internals and implementations as opposed to just a wm<->app protocol).