Re: Re: Add _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED to _NET_WM_STATE

On Thursday 27 October 2011 14:47:53 Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:
> Hi, thanks for questions.
>
> On 27 October 2011 11:32, Giles Atkinson <Giles Atkinson eu citrix com>
wrote:
> > Please give a more detailed explanation of the reason for this.  I do not
> > see anything significant in the picture [1].
> We'd like to style gtk+ applications differently depending on the
> window being presented by the WM as focused or not. You can see on the
> mockup that the unfocused window has different colors on its widgets,
> not only on the window decorations.
>
> But clients can do whatever they want with this information of course.
You mean something like this: http://simplest-image-hosting.net/png-0-plasma-
desktopi13520

If yes, I do not understand why you need a new flag to do what is already
possible.

> > And why would you ever want windows to appear to have focus unless they
> > really do?
> That's because of grabs. The WM grabs the keyboard when you drag the
> window which causes a FocusOut event on the client for that window. In
> this case we don't want the window to look "unfocused" because it's
> not what the user expects and would mismatch how the WM is drawing the
> decorations.
This seems to be a limitation of the window manager you use. I just tested
with KWin and the window stays in focused state during window moving.

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin

--
KWin Maintainer