From: wm-spec-list-bounces gnome org [mailto:wm-spec-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Rui Tiago Cação Matos
Sent: 27 October 2011 00:02
To: wm-spec-list gnome org
Subject: Add _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED to _NET_WM_STATE

Hi,

I'm proposing that we add a new _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED hint to
_NET_WM_STATE. The goal is to be able to do something like [1].

We decided not to use the existing _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW property since
it would mean that all clients would have to listen for changes on the
root window properties and also because _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW allows for
at most one window while _NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED can be set for any
number windows.

I'm attaching a patch against the 1.4.draft-2 xml file that I got from [2].

Comments are very welcome.

Rui

[1] http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/blobs/master/mockups/theming/unfocused-window.png
[2] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/wm-spec