Re: _NET_WM_APPLICATION_ID and friends

On Monday 09 May 2011 16:47:17 Ryan Lortie wrote:
> hi
>
> I want to add the following optional window properties to the
> specification:
>
>   _NET_WM_APPLICATION_ID
>   _NET_WM_DBUS_NAME
>   _NET_WM_DBUS_PATH
>
> They would have the following definitions:
>
> APPLICATION_ID: set equal to the well-known application identifier of
> the application responsible for showing this window (as in the one that
> GApplication is using).
what is this "well-known" application identifier I have never heard about ;-) Is this
GApplication specific or a general available identifier (e.g. also used in the Qt world)?

> DBUS_NAME: set equal to the unique D-Bus name on the session bus that
> can be used to reach the application responsible for showing this
> window.
>
> DBUS_PATH: set equal to the path at DBUS_NAME that corresponds to this
> window.  Some interface would be provided here to allow useful
> interaction with the window.
>

> What I don't have answers for:
>
>  - what to do about network transparency.  Probably nothing.
yes, I consider network transparency not supported for each application which uses dbus
anyway.

>  - exactly what the window D-Bus interface will look like
>

> This could well be an attempt at premature specification of a
> not-entirely-fleshed out idea (and I consider that to be a just
> criticism).  Even still, I'm fairly sure that we want to move in this
> direction.  I also want to make sure that there are no serious
> objections to the basic premise of this idea before I invest efforts
> into adding support to Gtk+ (for example).
Could you elaborate a little bit on what you have in your mind? This would give us a headsup
to implement it at the same time and to support new functionality in a cross-desktop manner
directly from the start. Also I would be opposed to add support for something which is just a
not-entirely-fleshed out idea ;-)

Cheers
Martin Gräßlin
KWin Maintainer