Re: new hint for EWMH

Dne pondělí 06 srpen 2007 15:55 Carsten Haitzler napsal(a):
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 15:36:07 +0200 Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> babbled:
> >  I see, I guess that makes sense. However that's only some kind of
> > optimization, I think a window type is still needed to find out which
> > windows create the regions. That's from somebody who has no clue about
> > input methods though - from your suggested description I wouldn't have
> > any idea how to actually implement the support.
>
> technically speaking - there already is a netwm property that lists all
> windows (_NET_CLIENT_LIST) so all you need to do is:
>
> 1. get this
> 2. get geometry/attributes and window type property for each of these
> 3. if window type is appropriate - it works like your rect property.
>
> yes - this is more round-trips, but it feels cleaner to me.

 Technically speaking :) - there is already a netwm precedent, _NET_WORKAREA,
that your approach above also makes not needed, yet it is there. I admit
though that _NET_WORKAREA is not a very good argument for many reasons.

 I'd be currently fine to provide such feature in KWin, based on the
(currently insufficient) knowledge of this area.

KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz