Re: Need a synthetic ConfigureNotify clarification/extension in the spec (and I don't know what it should be)

On Thursday 05 April 2007 03:14, you wrote:
> On 9/27/06, Bradley T Hughes <bhughes trolltech com> wrote:
> > Specifically, I wanted to bring up the necessity of the synthetic
> > ConfigureNotify in response to a MapRequest. My thought is that since
> > most window managers implement some sort of smart placement algorithm,
> > the synthetic ConfigureNotify is needed for all windows, regardless of
> > whether or not PPosition or USPosition is set.
>
> Hi, sorry for being so slow to respond.  You sent your email just as
> my dissertation was starting to bury me last year.  I did save your
> email and mark it important, though, and got back to it today.  I've
> fixed the metacity bug and made new releases, so it should be fixed in
> any of
>   metacity 2.16.x, where x>=8
>   metacity 2.18.x, where x>=1
>   metacity >= 2.19.1

Ahh, very cool. I know alot of our users will be happy about that :)

> P.S.  I'm all in favor of adding the rationale from Dan's email
> (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2006-May/msg00000.html)
> to the EWMH as a clarification.  Don't know exactly where to put it,
> though.

Indeed. I would suggest an extra bullet point under the Window Geometry
(http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.4.html#id2512541)
clarication section.

Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
Trolltech ASA - Sandakervn. 116, P.O. Box 4332 Nydalen, 0402 Oslo, Norway