Re: Need a synthetic ConfigureNotify clarification/extension in the spec (and I don't know what it should be)

On 9/27/06, Bradley T Hughes <bhughes trolltech com> wrote:
I thought I would comment on the above mentioned mail. I don't have to
original anymore, so here's the link to the archive:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2006-April/msg00045.html

Specifically, I wanted to bring up the necessity of the synthetic
ConfigureNotify in response to a MapRequest. My thought is that since most
window managers implement some sort of smart placement algorithm, the
synthetic ConfigureNotify is needed for all windows, regardless of whether
or not PPosition or USPosition is set.

Of course, since I originally reported the bug in Metacity, it's because of
selfish reasons that I bring this up again (I would love to see the bug
fixed, so that I can tell my users/customers that it will work at some
point). Hi, Elijah :)

Hi, sorry for being so slow to respond.  You sent your email just as
my dissertation was starting to bury me last year.  I did save your
email and mark it important, though, and got back to it today.  I've
fixed the metacity bug and made new releases, so it should be fixed in
any of
 metacity 2.16.x, where x>=8
 metacity 2.18.x, where x>=1
 metacity >= 2.19.1

Hope that helps,
Elijah

P.S.  I'm all in favor of adding the rationale from Dan's email
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2006-May/msg00000.html)
to the EWMH as a clarification.  Don't know exactly where to put it,
though.