Re: RFC: FULLSCREEN_MONITORS property

As far as I can tell, reading through this again, people seem to be
generally happy with the idea of a FULLSCREEN_MONITORS hint
per-window.  Is this actually the case, and if so, what happens next?

-David

On 3/12/07, Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
Lubos Lunak wrote:
>> It does make sense to me that certain apps (games, vmware) might say
>> "cover multiple monitors" where the multiple monitors are distinct
>> spaces (what I called "b)" originally) for all other apps.
>
>  Why? I don't see a single reason why VMWare should be able to change how
> Konqueror goes fullscreen.

I think you interpreted my comment backward from what I was trying to
say, I didn't mean vmware should change the global state.

>> So I'd go
>> with Elijah and say the hint makes sense, though I'm not clear yet on
>> whether it should cover only fullscreen behavior or all "xinerama
>> awareness"
>>
>> I do think some of the other issues raised need addressing, but they
>> appear orthogonal to this hint since this hint assumes case b) and
>> doesn't take a position on how we distinguish a) and b)
>
>  And do we need to take position on a)? As you said, in such case Xinerama
> settings should pretend there's no Xinerama.

I think it would be better if the X server simply didn't report
xinerama, but last time we tried the X hackers couldn't be convinced, so
perhaps we need to set our own XSETTING-type global desktop property.