Re: _NET_WM_USER_TIME reconsidered

Matthias Clasen wrote:

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 11:21 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
Matthias/All:

The whole _NET_WM_USER_TIME thing is a continuing problem for accessibility, as it now stands. In an assistive technology setting, there isn't always an X event that corresponds to the "user action" which results in a new window being posted or focus changing. Since X doesn't allow us to get a meaningful answer to "what's the current timestamp", we have serious problems when trying to interact with windows via non-X-device-based user requests.

Not sure I fully understand what you are saying here. What would be
an example for a non-X-device based user request that causes a window to
be posted or the focus to change ?
For instance, if a switch device (not associated with XInput or emulating a mouse button) is used to drive an onscreen keyboard like GOK; or if a braille "keyboard" (which doesn't connect to the XServer as a keyboard, but has its own unique serial interface) is used to focus a GUI component or popup a window. OR if the result of interacting with such devices causes an app to post a new window via AtkAction. From the user's perspective, s/he has made a device request, but the XServer doesn't see these devices as standard keyboards or mice (or even extended XInput devices).

regards

Bill

Matthias