Re: _NET_WM_[GET_|TAKE_|REQUEST_]FOCUS & urgency

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 19:55 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

>  1. race condition; you have to read current contents, append, and then
>     set (or use PropModeAppend but then you can create duplicates).
>
>  2. window managers don't have to listen to PropertyNotify on this
>     property, since the WM is supposed to be canonically setting
>     its value. I don't think metacity will notice if you change it
>     yourself.

You can set the property yourself with metacity and it'll work,
especially since metacity doesn't do anything special with
DEMANDS_ATTENTION other than unset it when it focuses the window.  But
setting it on a withdrawn window then showing it won't work, since it'll
be unset as soon as the window is focused.

In short, if you want to do this as an app, better to use Urgent, and
get support for this finally into GNOME.

-Rob