Re: _NET_WM_[GET_|TAKE_|REQUEST_]FOCUS & urgency

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 10:08 -0500, Billy Biggs wrote:

>   With metacity 2.8.8 at least, if you set
> _NET_WM_STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION on a window and not by sending the event
> to the root window, it isn't cleared when you activate the window.  Is
> this because of this misunderstanding (should it work to just set it on
> my window rather than send the event)?

AFAIK you can't just change the property for a couple reasons:

 1. race condition; you have to read current contents, append, and then
    set (or use PropModeAppend but then you can create duplicates).

 2. window managers don't have to listen to PropertyNotify on this
    property, since the WM is supposed to be canonically setting
    its value. I don't think metacity will notice if you change it
    yourself.

Of course you can set the property directly on a withdrawn window, but
on a managed window you have to ask the WM to do it via the client
message.

If you're talking about setting the property on a withdrawn window and
then mapping the window, maybe it's just a bug in the WM?