Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Monday 27 of June 2005 17:23, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Saturday 25 June 2005 16:51, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > Missing semantic things I know of:
> >
> >  - popups that are really part of the window they are transient for,
> >    e.g. Epiphany toolbar editor used to be like this but didn't work
> >    with current WMs, or it sounds like the Eclipse thing Billy mentioned
> >    though I haven't seen that thing, or maybe some input method stuff.
> >    These windows might be undecorated and be moved along with their
> >    transient parent maybe.
> >
> >  - onscreen keyboard, which we could never specify the behavior of
> >    in enough detail to put in the spec, or maybe we just decided
> >    it was a dock, I don't remember
> >
> >  - maybe "WINE window" (which could be the same thing as XMMS
> >    and Gkrellm really, only the WINE example is more legitimate IMO)
> >
> >  - OS X style "drawers" if someone implemented those might need a hint
>
> For the "things that legitimately want no borders" list:
>
> - Output-only windows (think xsnow)

 XSnow? The thing that runs in the root/desktop window? What exactly do you
mean with "window" there (because I don't see any xsnow window there)?

> - OSX-Dashboard-style apps

 Having never seen OSX I actually don't know what this is, but I seem to
remember somebody here saying those would need a window type of their own.

> - Desktop icons that aren't managed by the DE's filemanager

 Regardless of whether this is or isn't a good idea these are hardly normal
windows and thus should have their own window type too.

> Probably a few others I could think up.

 And would those really a require a noborder hint or would they be another
examples of "needs their own window type"?

> Again, I don't really care if this becomes a netwm hint instead of an mwm
> hint, but I would like the spec to specify what subset of the mwm hints
> SHOULD be implemented in the RFC2119 sense.  Otherwise we get this fight
> again every few years.

 I think it's quite clear what should be implemented. There are quite some
legacy apps that use the MWM hint for noborder, be it for fullscreen windows
or whatever, so all reasonable WMs need to support them for backwards
compatibility anyway. That doesn't mean we should promote it.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/