Re: Aspect ratio SizeHint and fullscreen

Havoc Pennington (hp redhat com):

> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:45:43PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > First of all, the aspect hints are only hints. Nothing requires that
> > the WM honors them (or the WM just doesn't have to support them,
> > like one quite widely used WM I'm not going to name ;) ).  E.g.
> > XTerm has size increment hints, but works just fine if I run without
> > a WM and force it to have size of the screen.
>
> I think I agree with the conclusion of this thread (fullscreen should
> override size hints), but also I seem to remember some apps being
> broken in that they really couldn't handle it if you didn't honor
> their hints.

  Thanks to all who helped.  I do have one last problem that I must ask:
any suggestions for current code workarounds?  My current thought is to
always send the aspect ratio hint, regardless of fullscreen state, and
never send it if the wm is metacity.  Should I use _NET_WM_NAME to check
for metacity?  Is there a proper way to work-around older versions of a
WM?  When not using _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN, I use override_redirect
for my fullscreen mode otherwise, and afaik this means that the hints
won't matter.

  The idea is that most window managers which support
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN ignore the hint, except metacity, and by next
year or so fixed versions will be available generally and so I'll enable
the hint for metacity.

  Havoc, does this sound reasonable?

  -Billy