Re: Aspect ratio SizeHint and fullscreen

Lubos Lunak (l lunak suse cz):

> On Monday 05 of May 2003 19:34, Billy Biggs wrote:
> >   I am the author of a video application which can view content in the
> > following modes: 4:3 windowed, 4:3 fullsrceen, 16:9 windowed, and 16:9
> > fullscreen.  When fullscreen, we fill the largest window available to
> > properly fit our content.
> >
> >   We were experimenting with trying to use WM size hints to have the
> > window manager resize us nicely when in windowed mode.  We discovered a
> > metacity bug [1], but in disucssing this, we think we found something in
> > need of a new spec.
> >
> >   Should window managers ignore aspect ratio hints if the application is
> > in a fullscreen state, or should there be a more explicit protocol?  The
> > problem is that when viewing 16:9 content on a 4:3 screen, you want the
> > black bars on top and bottom in fullscreen, but in windowed mode, you
> > want the window manager to only allow resizing which maintains the
> > aspect ratio.
>
> IMHO the aspect hints should be ignored for windows that have
> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN set (they're only hints after all). If the
> window requests to be fullscreen, it should become fullscreen. If it
> doesn't cover the whole screen area, then ... well ... it's not
> fullscreen. I think the player in fact wouldn't even want aspect hints
> to be used for fullscreen windows. How would it otherwise paint the
> black area above and below the movie?

  Well definitely a media player wants black bars on top and bottom, but
is this necessarily the case in general?  I'm trying to rationalize
Havoc's interest in not fullscreening fullscreen apps, and I was
thinking it might be reasonable behavior for, say, an xterm?  I'm not
entirely sure though.

  By the way, does kwin listen to aspect ratio hints?  It doesn't seem
to here, and that's what I've been testing with.

  -Billy