Re: Aspect ratio SizeHint and fullscreen

On Monday 05 of May 2003 19:34, Billy Biggs wrote:
>   I am the author of a video application which can view content in the
> following modes: 4:3 windowed, 4:3 fullsrceen, 16:9 windowed, and 16:9
> fullscreen.  When fullscreen, we fill the largest window available to
> properly fit our content.
>
>   We were experimenting with trying to use WM size hints to have the
> window manager resize us nicely when in windowed mode.  We discovered a
> metacity bug [1], but in disucssing this, we think we found something in
> need of a new spec.
>
>   Should window managers ignore aspect ratio hints if the application is
> in a fullscreen state, or should there be a more explicit protocol?  The
> problem is that when viewing 16:9 content on a 4:3 screen, you want the
> black bars on top and bottom in fullscreen, but in windowed mode, you
> want the window manager to only allow resizing which maintains the
> aspect ratio.

 IMHO the aspect hints should be ignored for windows that have
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN set (they're only hints after all). If the window
requests to be fullscreen, it should become fullscreen. If it doesn't cover
the whole screen area, then ... well ... it's not fullscreen. I think the
player in fact wouldn't even want aspect hints to be used for fullscreen
windows. How would it otherwise paint the black area above and below the
movie?

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/